John Day River Summer Super Float
This outing will open for registration at a future date (TBD) pending additional information on obtaining permits to float the river.
Outing Hosts: TBD
Dates: June 20-27th
Registration Fee: $250/person (no charge for 2 hosts)
This is a multi-day float on Oregon's John Day River for small mouth bass fishing. Expect to catch dozens of fish a day. This is one of Oregon's most spectacular rivers.
The John Day River is a tributary of the Columbia River, approximately 284 miles long, in northeastern Oregon. Undammed along its entire length, the river is the third longest free-flowing river in the contiguous U. S. and the longest undammed river in Oregon. This segment offers warm-water bass fishing with 30-40 fish days the norm. Calm water boating is punctuated with relatively easy rapids.
You will want bass flies and lots of them: poppers, pretty ones, ugly ones, and even uglier ones. You will be casting into the foam lines and against the cliff faces. Forty fish days are going to tear those flies apart.
The plan is to leave Seattle on Saturday June 20th and drive to Condon, OR. and stay there that night. On Sunday, June 21st, the group will shuttle to the put-in spot, set up all of the boats and gear and push off once all are ready. After spending 6 nights on the river the group will take out on Saturday June 27th.
- You MUST have an acceptable river boat or a spot saved on one to register (check with the hosts to determine if you boat is acceptable).
- You MUST have an acceptable PFD (check with the hosts to determine if your PFD is acceptable).
What to Bring for Fishing & Rafting:
- Oregon state fishing license
- Sun screen, a hat, and sun glasses
- 4-5 weight rods. Everyone uses floating lines with 3x and 4x leaders
- Lots of Bass Flies, especially poppers
- Water bottle with liquid
- An acceptable PFD
- An acceptable boat
What to Bring for Camping:
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- Clothes for warmish daytime temperatures and chilly nights
- Rain gear
- Sun screen, hat, and sun glasses
- Folding Chair
Food & Beverages:
- The outing fee covers all of the meals on the river
- Bring your own wine, beer, or hard stuff
- You to Goldendale, WA. & Bend OR. do not need to bring any cook gear or eating utensils.
Put-in & Take-out Logistics & Fees:
Put in: The group will meet in Condon, OR. on 6/20 at 5:00 p.m. at the Condon Motel parking lot to discuss the shuttle and put-in logistics. Lodging on 6/20 is available at the Condon Motel or the Condon Hotel. You need to make your own reservations. Camping is also available in the area.
Take-out: The take-out on June 27 will be at the Cottonwood Campground. All of the equipment and boats, including the gear boats, will need to be cleaned and packed before anyone departs. Plan on being on the road at 4:30 p.m. and getting back to Seattle at 10:00 p.m.
FEES: The fee will cover shuttles and food while on the river. It will not cover meals while driving to and from Oregon nor dinner while in Condon.
- I-90 east to Ellensberg
- US-97 South, I-82 E. to Yakima
- US-97 South to Goldendale, WA. & Bend, OR.
- US-97 to Biggs, OR. & Bend, OR.
- A few miles south of Biggs, near Wasco go E. on OR-206 to Condon
Cancellation Deadline: Deadline for cancellation is 8:00 p.m. June 6th, 2 weeks before the outing. If you need to cancel, please contact the Outing Host(s). There will be no refunds after the cancellation deadline.