Clark Fork (Hosts - Carl & Maura Johnson)
Is 430 miles, one way, a long way to go for a weekend of fishing? It depends on where you are going and whom you are going to be with when you arrive. Many people come from all over the world to fish in Montana. We only have to cross eastern Washington and the panhandle of Idaho to get there. Once you arrive in Superior, MT (approximately an 8 hour drive from Seattle), you will be fishing with fellow NFA members and will be the guests of Carl and Maura Johnson.
Carl has a drift boat plus a big outdoor gas grill and he knows how to use it. Maura is a great cook. Tenting is on the Johnson's large lawn which has the softest green grass in the neighborhood. There is a big porch with chairs and lots of shade trees. The list of amenities goes on and on. Most of us will float the river but there are places to bank fish.
What to Bring for Fishing:
- Montana state fishing license.
- Suitable floating devices including pontoon boat, raft, or drift boat.
- PFD is always recommended for wading and riding in boats.
- 4 or 5 weight rods with floating lines.
- 3x and 4x leaders and strike indicators (for nymph fishing)
- Wet flies: Pat's stonefly nymphs, size 8s and 10s; Copper John, Pheasant Tail, Prince and Hares ears in 12 to 14.
- Dry flies: Yellow Stimulator, size 8s and 10s; Brown Elk Hair Caddis, 14s; Purple Haze, Adams and similar flies, size 14-16.
What to Bring for Camping:
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- Bring clothes for warmish daytime temperatures and chilly nights.
- Rain gear
- Sun screen, hat, and dark glasses
- Folding Chair
- Camera (in Ziplock bag)
- Water Bottle with liquid
Food & Beverages:
- The outing fee covers all the meals from Friday dinner through Sunday lunch.
- Bring your own wine, beer, or hard stuff.
- You do not need to bring any cook gear or eating utensils.
- Drive east on I-90 420 miles to exit 47 (Superior)
- Turn left at bottom of ramp
- Drive north through Superior and turn left on Mullan Rd.
- Drive about two miles and look for Johnson's cabin on left.
Cancellation Deadline: Deadline for cancellation is 8:00 p.m. the Sunday before the outing. If you need to cancel, please contact the Outing Host(s). There will be no refunds after the cancellation deadline.