Northern Idaho Rivers
Outing Hosts: Phil Friend and Norm Hill
Date: September 11-16
Registration Fee: $50/per person (no charge for 2 hosts)
Our campground will be in the small town of Lowell, 340 miles east of Seattle at Three Rivers Campground located right where the Lochsa and Selway Rivers converge. Just 20 miles west is the convergence of the South and Middle Forks of the Clearwater River in the town of Kooskia. Native cutthroat and bull trout are the primary catch, taking Mayflies, Caddis or Grasshoppers. You need a well stocked fly box to cover all of these rivers. Wading will be easy on the Selway and Lochsa. Boats and pontoons can be used on the Clearwater. There are many tributaries worthy of fishing as well. Three Rivers Campground has full facilities for comfortable tent camping as well as RV dry sites. Gas up in Kooskia before driving 20 miles to Lowell as there are no facilities available in Lowell.
What to Bring for Fishing:
- Idaho state fishing license
- Bring clothes for warmish daytime temperatures and chilly nights.
- Sun screen, a hat, and sunglasses
- Waders, wading boots, and wading staff
- 3-5 weight rods
- Floating lines with 4x and 5x leaders. Bring 6x leader material if you have to put on really small flies.
What to Bring for Camping:
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- Rain gear
- Folding chair
- Water Bottle
Food & Beverages:
- The outing fee covers all the meals from Saturday breakfast through Wednesday lunch.
- Bring your own wine, beer, or hard stuff
- You do not need to bring any cooking gear or eating utensils
- Drive east on I-90 to Kooskia, ID. then 20 miles east pn Hwy. 12 to Lowell.
- Make sure your NFA registration includes an up-to-date email address and cellphone number
Cancellation Deadline: Because this outing requires more extensive logistical efforts, the deadline for cancellation is 8:00 p.m. August 21st; 3 weeks prior to the outing. If you need to cancel, please contact the Outing Host(s). There will be no refunds after the cancellation deadline.