Yakima River, Upper Canyon
Outing Host(s): TBD
Date: May 1-3, 2020
Registration Fee: $25/person (no charge for 2 hosts)
The Upper Yakima area, from Bullfrog Road to Ellensburg, offers more than 20 miles of relatively easy wading and floating. NFA will set up camp at (TBD) Campground, near the river and South Cle Elum. This section is well traveled by local guides because there are plentiful hatches of insects and plenty of large fish taking both wet and dry flies.
Your primary catch will be rainbow trout and whitefish. Many of our group will be floating one of several drift sections. If you don't have a boat, there is easy wade access points from the Bullfrog Road area, through South Cle Elum, down to Thorp and beyond along Highway 10 This should be an ideal time when the April runoff is slowing and before early irrigation floods start.
What to Bring for Fishing:
- Washington state fishing license
- Suitable floating devices including pontoon boat, raft, or drift boat
- PFD is always recommended for wading and riding in boats
- It is very likely to be quite cool during the day and significantly colder at night. Bring clothes that will keep you warm. Although we are on the "dry" side of the Cascade, it rains here too. Bring rain gear.
- Hat and sunglasses
- 4-6 weight rods and floating lines
- 3x,4x, and maybe 5x tippet, depending on which flies you use
- Check the local fly shops on what is working but bring a variety of nymphs including Stone, Copper Johns, and Bead Head Prince Nymphs; streamers including buggers, and Caddis.
- Water bottle and drinking water
- Waders, wading boots, and wading staff.
What to Bring for Camping:
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- Change of clothes (You may get wet)
- Folding Chair
Food & Beverages:
- The outings fee covers all of the meals from Saturday breakfast through Sunday lunch
- Bring your own wine, beer, or hard stuff
- You do not need to bring any cook gear or eating utensils.
- East on I-90 to Cle Elum
- Take exit 84
- Campground TBD (Eagle Valley in South Cle Elum)
Cancellation Deadline: Cancellation deadline is 8:00 p.m. April 26th. If you need to cancel, contact the Outing Host(s). No refunds will be issued after the cancellation deadline.