Outing Hosts: Alan Pilkington, Phil Friend, & Scott Keenholts
Registration Fee: $35.00 (does not include hosts)
After listening to Molly Semenik's inspriring presentation on Western Montana Fly Fishing in 2018, many members asked the outing chair if NFA would do a Western Montana streams outing. Molly had showed us so many fishable places to go, how could we not pass up an opportunity like this?
Well, it is tough to get a campground with enough campsites for 16 in Western Montana any time between memorial Day and Labor Day, especially on weekends. But there is a solution. DUH...Schedule a mid-week outing for mid-September. Three of our members stepped right up and said they would host and find a campground which would serve as the base camp. Done deal.
Schedule wise this outing will follow immediately after the Clark Fork outing. You do not have to register for one to attend the other, but if you are driving that distance why not stay and do both? However, we don't want to make the driving too onerous once you have made it to Montana. We are going to make every effort to locate the base camp for this outing somewhere within a 2-3 hour drive of Superior, MT.
This outing is a work in progress. The hosts will be researching long distance and it takes time to do the research and get boots on the ground. Our outing hosts will do their research, select their base camp and try to have it identified by mid to late June.
What to Bring for Fishing
- Montana state fishing license
- Waders, wading boots, and wading staff
- PFD is always recommended for wading
- 3-5 weight rods
- Floating lines with 4X and 5X leaders. Bring 6X leader material if you have to put on really small flies.
What to Bring for Camping
- Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad
- Bring clothes for warmish daytime temperatures and chilly nights
- Rain gear
- Sun screen, hat, and dark glasses
- Folding Chair
- Water Bottle with liquid
Food & Beverages
- The outing fee covers all the meals from Monday dinner through Thursday lunch
- Bring your own wine, beer, or hard stuff
- You do not need to bring any cook gear or eating utensils.
- We will let you know as we get closer to the actual outing date.
- We may need to email directions the base camp to attendees. Make sure your NFA registration includes an up-to-date email address and cellphone number.
Because this outing will require more extensive logistical efforts, the deadline for cancellation is 8:00 p.m. August 25; 2 weeks prior to the outing. There will be no refunds after the cancellation deadline. To cancel, log onto the NFA website with your email and password, go to the event, click on "Already Registered", and follow the prompts to cancel your registration.